There are two things I love in this world: comics and delicious fancy-pantsy cocktails. So this month, I thought, why don’t we have both?
Today we are pairing a fine sparkling apple cider cocktail with the hilarious and very endearing comic, Over the Garden Wall. Both contain hints of spice and… forests? Yes. Sure, let’s go with forests.
- 1/3 Cup Sparkling Wine
- 1/3 Cup Spiced Apple Cider
- 1 Drop Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Apples
- 1/8 Cup Cinnamon/Sugar Mix
- 2 Cinnamon sticks *optional
- Over the Garden Wall
- Grab a small plate, and mix together a small amount of cinnamon and sugar. I think my total amount of mixture came to about 1/8 of a cup. Make sure the mixture is spread out, as you will be using this for the rim of your glass
- Using a damp napkin, gently moisten (I'm sorry I used that word, I had to) the rim of the glass. Once wet, roll the edge in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until the entire rim has been covered.
- Pour sparkling wine into the glass, about halfway full.
- Add a drop of vanilla extract into the glass of wine.
- Pour apple cider into glass, until the glass is about 2/3 full.
- Garnish with apple slices and 1-2 cinnamon sticks. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon, grab your comic and a blanket and enjoy!
- I bought a crazy cheap $6 bottle at my local grocery store, and it worked just fine
- For the apples, I used Gala Apples - anything on the sweeter side will do nicely
OVER THE GARDEN WALL
I really loved this comic. I also really loved the cartoon. The comic takes place while the main characters are on their journey. It acts as a mini side story. This first issue was especially cute, as Wirt and Greg get themselves in a little bit of trouble while helping out a couple of girls they meet. I won’t spoil the rest of the plot, but I think the mixture of art, light-hearted story and delicious fall-themed alcohol will make for a cozy afternoon.
Until next time!