Today I’m going to talk about my current cosplay WIP, San of Hayao Miyazaki’s Princess Mononoke. So as of this week, here is where the cosplay stands:
I wanted to put a cosplay together for Wondercon this year. I have a couple of bigger group cosplays planned for SDCC and Dragoncon, but I wanted to make sure I put one together just for me. I landed on San EVEN THOUGH she wasn’t on my pressing wishlist. I am so fickle, I don’t even know sometimes.
Ok, so obviously I am pulling a LOOTTT of inspiration from the original source material. However, I wanted to try my hand at making some intricate details after stalking Sharon Rose Cosplay’s Loki on instagram, so I found this concept by the INCREDIBLE artist Manusia No 31 that I thought would give me the opportunity to try that out.
This picture is much more forgiving of how these details came out. I have learned a LOT about detail work through this process. So, originally my plan was to carve in the details, then use a heat gun on the foam to expand my cuts. That is *sort of* what went down. My mistake was I didn’t cut deep enough, so my details weren’t very visible. Where I REALLY messed up though, is that I tthoouugghhtt that my details were visible enough, and without thinking too much about it, I coated my necklace pieces in plastidip. DETAILS. LOST. As a last ditch effort, I decided to use fabric paint over the details, and NOT spray them down with plastidip again. It turned out better at least. I don’t have a photo of the necklace pieces at this stage, but here’s a photo where I did the same technique on the ears and earrings:
I’m def beating up on myself a bit, but I’m not 100% happy with the end results on these, but happy enough to not dwell on it. I feel like I have a better understanding though for next time.
Next up is the mask.
So, to make the mask, I sort of followed this tutorial. I bought the floral foam half-sphere, paper mache’d over it (which I HATED. So messy, so smelly, so hard to find newspaper this day in age, hahaha). Then I used air-dry clay over the paper mache, let that sit over night. It was still not really to my liking, so I used Bondo over it, and sanded it down. Afterwards, I removed all the paper mache from underneath (it was basically falling out anyways), and then covered the mask in plastic wrap and masking tape to get my face detail patterns.
Carefully with an exacto knife, I cut out the necessary holes, made the details with foam and then glued everything down. Then using gesso and paint, I used a similar painting technique as Kamui Cosplay recommends. I painted in the swirls after the base color was done. I still need to finalize some of the gold parts, and then clear coat it, and then I’ll be donnneee 🙂
For the ears, I drew out my pattern on paper, put against my head to check the scale, and once I was happy, I cut them out. I also used a little bit of fishing wire I had leftover from a flower crown project I did a while back. I made a square-ish shape out of the top similar to Kamui’s Summoner Cat Ear tutorial, and glued it down in between the 2 foam sheets. This helped me make them more flexible to bend slightly in the middle or even adjust how upright I wanted them to be. I dremmeled down the edges a bit to be a little softer, and then painted them, similar to the mask.
For the dress pieces, I used my dress form to create a pattern for the top parts of the dress and top white layer. Using cheap fabric from Walmart, I created a quick mockup. I adjusted and pinned the garment pieces until I was happy, and then cut out the pattern pieces with my final fabric. The dress is made out of a navy blue suiting material from Joann’s. I love this material, becuase it’s thick, stretchy and super comfortable. For the white apron-piece, I used a white linen. I liked the texture on it, and it came out really nice. For the fur cape, I used a white faux fur, made a pattern similar as above, and adjusted to my liking. I also drew the pattern pieces for the tail, sewed up the edges, leaving an opening at the top for some stuffing. Stuffed and then sewed it shut. Then I hand sewed it to the bottom of the cape. I still need to add some snaps to make it wearable and of course, add the hood once the mask and ears are finished. Oh! I also chose not to hem the edges of the dress and linen piece. I liked the frayed and messy look. At the end, I may even dirty everything up a bit, and add some grey to the white fur. The more forest child I can make it look, the better! 😀
Outside of that, I have a few things left. I have a working dagger at the moment, but I’m not too happy with it’s shape, so I might revisit that. I have to make boot covers still, and the black arm and forehead straps. Otherwise, she’s almost ready to go!! Once finished, check back for a proper photoshoot <3