Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
This has been a wonderful year, and I have so much to be thankful for. A new job, my wonderful boyfriend, Jeff and my dog R2. It’s nice to be able to just sit and reflect on those things sometimes, you know?
Seeing as this is my first Thanksgiving with The Pixel Party, I thought it would be fitting to do a recipe post that you can take advantage of this holiday season. Today’s recipe comes from the Hunger Games– which is also relevant because, you know, the movie 😉
“We make a goat cheese and apple tart at the bakery,” he says.
“Bet that’s expensive,” I say.
“Too expensive for my family to eat. Unless it’s gone very stale. Of course, practically everything we eat is stale,” says Peeta, pulling the sleeping bag up around him. In less than a minute, he’s snoring.
Here’s the recipe. I apologize for not having step-by-step photos. My kitchen is chaotic right now, eek!
6 oz honey flavored goat cheese
30 Mini Fillo Shells (I used Athen’s brand, found in the frozen baking section)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pink lady apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons salted butter
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly oil 2 baking sheets
2) Place shells, 15 on each baking sheet
3) In a bowl, mix the goat cheese, lemon juice, salt, sugar and 1 tablespoon of honey
4) Use the mixture to fill the shells- I used a Ziploc as a makeshift piping bag, but you can also just spoon in the cheese mixture
5) Place the apple slices on top of the shells. I cut mine into very small triangle shapes and made them look kind of like a fan
6) In a separate bowl, add the butter and melt slightly (I microwaved mine for about 30 seconds)
7) Mix 1/3 cup of honey with the melted butter, and with a pastry brush, coat the tops of the pastries with the honey butter mixture
8) Sprinkle the pastries with the pumpkin spice
9) Bake the pastries for 15-18 minutes. When finished, drizzle the warm pastries with honey, and enjoy!
Be sure to check out my other geeky recipes here!