The Pinto Bean Dip is a recipe I picked up from Janelle. We were hanging out, probably working on Geek Girl Brunch stuff or maybe it was post-comicon, and we were both hungry. Janelle said, “well, I have some beans and some tortilla chips… want me to whip up some bean dip?” To which I responded, “YES. HOW? WHAT?!” Then she proceeded to show me her ways in bean dip making, and it’s been an staple in my home ever since. I’ve slightly altered the original version, but I think it’s still pretty tasty!
So, thank you, Janelle, for this installment of Press Pause.
HOW TO MAKE
- 1 16oz can pinto beans - drained
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 clove of garlic (or 1 really small clove), minced
- 2 squirts of your favorite hot sauce (I use Tapatío)
- Tortilla Chips
- Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan, then add your chopped jalapeno
- Once the jalapeno starts becoming fragrant and soft, add minced garlic
- Sautée garlic until fragrant, then add beans
- Heat beans thoroughly, and then stir in a couple of squirts of hot sauce
- Stir until hot, then remove from stove
- Use a potato masher on the bean mixture, until most of the beans are smashed into a dip
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly
- Enjoy with Tortilla Chips 🙂
And that’s about it. It’s SO simple, and perfect for game night.
Make sure to check out my other “Press Pause” recipes here.